Physiology and Structure
Resides in small branches of the inferior mesenteric vein near the lower colon.
The eggs are oval in shape and posses a sharp lateral spine.
Schistosoma mansoni egg
- Worms in the lungs may produce cough and upon reaching the liver, hepatitis may appear.
- Flukes take up residence in the vessels and begin laying eggs. Upon doing so, fever, malaise and abdominal pain and tenderness of the liver may be observed.
- Severe neurologic problems may follow when eggs are deposited in the spinal cord and brain.
taken from: https://www.stanford.edu/class/humbio103/ParaSites2004/Schisto/Schistomes_LifeCycle.gif
Treatment, Prevention and Control
- Antihelminthic therapy may terminate oviposition (egg laying) but it does not afftect lesions caused by eggs which are already deposited in tissue.
- Improved sanitation and control of human fecel deposits are critical in ensuring that the infection does not spread.